Thursday, July 3, 2008

What about that Business Degree?

Just over a year ago I graduated from the Orfalea College of Business at Cal Poly after 4 years that changed my life tremendously and gave me a great look at how businesses operate and how to develop strategies for various businesses. It wasn't until the last couple of quarters at Cal Poly that I began to see the ways that God can and is using business to expand His kingdom.

Before December 2006 I had never really looked into what it meant to be a Business-as-Mission (BAM) company and the impact business owners and entrepeneurially minded people could have on spreading the Gospel. I knew that I wanted to go to Urbana in 06 to be challenged and encouraged to do missions, but I didn't think that I would enjoy the "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" track that focused in on BAM. After getting through a couple seminars I thought that I did want to research more about BAM and see if I could get an internship soon after I finished college. In my searches God didn't open up any doors for business, but he did open a door for me to work at Grace Church so that is where I am at, even though I still do love to read about how God is using businesses to draw men and women to His name.

I just got an email with a new list of the top 25 BAM companies. Check out the Business as Mission Network to see what these businesses are all about.

Currently I am not exactly sure how God will use my business degree in the future, but I do know that studying business is a great foundation to working in any organization, especially in a church and I am thankful for it.

No comments: