Thursday, May 26, 2011

Harbor Internship Day 1 - Getting Settled


After a weekend celebrating the end of the school year and an early BBQ to celebrate my birthday and a couple days hanging out with my family at home I made it down to Harbor Presbyterian Church around noon today.

I pulled into the Horton Plaza parking structure and looked at a trusty map to try and find the office building for the church in the heart of Downtown San Diego. After a couple blocks walking and a few turnarounds I made it to the office and quickly met the administrative staff before grabbing lunch with Stephen Cooper, pastor of Harbor Downtown & Uptown at J Wok, , a hip asian fusion restaurant just a block or two from Petco Park.

At J Wok we talked about what my goals are for the summer and what I'll be planning on doing. I am hoping over the next 6 weeks to learn more and get more experience in evangelism and Church Planting and also discerning if that might be where God is leading me.

Also, I do hope to get time to reflect on my gifts and direction for where God is leading me. I am hoping that being close to the beach will help me in slowing down and listening to the Lord's voice and discerning his call. Pray for me that God will lead my time here and that I will be faithful to his calling upon my life.

After I finished up my time at Harbor I drove to my new place to meet my host Dale and get settled in at his place. It is in a great location just a block away from Harbor Uptown () and just over a mile north of Balboa Park (where I hope to play some ultimate frisbee on Saturday mornings!). Dale recently lost his wife so I know that a large part of my ministry while here will be spending time with him to process, listen, and love on him. Finally, at the end of the day I made my way over to a community group and had a good time discussing what it looks like to live under authority. I really enjoyed getting back into a small group and just seeing the ways everyone was processing through the discussion. I also saw again the value of asking people to pray for me. So with that, I went to sleep and had many dreams, but my questions I was working through at the end of the day...

Do I really believe God has empowered me with his Spirit to be his witness? (Acts 1:8) If not, why not?

Do I trust that God's power is made perfect in my weakness or do I use my weaknesses as an excuse for not following God's lead on my life? In what ways can I practice ministering out of weakness that I might gain trust in God's power?

Do I trust in the Lord with my whole heart or do I trust in myself and lean on my own understanding? (Prov. 3:5-6) How do I move towards that trust?

These questions will be the beginning of my journaling in the morning, let me know if you have any thoughts on these questions.

1 comment:

Mama Mote said...

How exciting for you, Matt. Hmmm...my sister-in-law lives in San Diego. Her husband is sports anchor on channel 8 and we visit every so often. Now that we live closer, we may come down more often to see some of their son's football games. Maybe we can meet up with you sometime. By the way, the beach is a great way to slow down and ponder, but it's also distracting since it's so beautiful. ;) But it does direct you to Him because it's His creation. I'll be praying for you as you seek His guidance. hugs